Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Accidental Taco Tuesday 10/12/10

I was just minding my own business, watching a game of softball at Pan Pacific Park....


Base Hit

...happily passing the time while waiting for Heather's "girl night" to conclude, when all of a sudden a gaggle of youths rocking colorful fixies rolled up on me. We exchanged pleasantries. I was riding Heather's Trance, and decided to bomb down the root rutted hill to investigate the growing cacophony of voices, hoots and music emanating from the picnic tables below the softball diamond. It turned out Taco Tuesday was taking a rest stop here after a multi-bike pileup caused by the distraction of a pretty woman, or so I heard.

Anyways, it was still early and I relished the idea of getting some exercise with a quick ride in a peloton around town. So I joined Taco Tuesday then and there. My adventure ended many hours later than I intended, but as you can see, it was well worth it.

I met some really skilled bike riders who popped wheelies in unison, Robert and his crew from Pico Rivera riding his great grand father's bike (Motobeccane possibly?) and Justin from Studio City who was riding Will Campbell's bike that he borrowed to ride CicLAvia. It was a nice group of enthusiastic cyclists that were just out to have a fun time.






LAPD paid us a couple visits to ensure we weren't being too disruptive to the businesses we were patronizing. I got thumbs up from every officer I spoke to.



It was nice to ride in a small group that wasn't hard to keep together, that could get away with mischief that LACM can no longer get away with, specifically the Circle of Death at Hollywood and Highland. It was a thrill to do that after so many failed attempts at recent Critical Mass rides.





If you haven't ridden Taco Tuesday, I wholeheartedly encourage you to give it a spin.

Taco Tuesday departs Crank Mob Park at 9pm every Tuesday evening.

No comments: