Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What's Merck hiding?


merck
Originally uploaded by lakersalex
Today's New York Times has a story about Zetia and Vytorin, 2 drugs produced by Merck. Merck performed a clinical trial of the drugs TWO YEARS AGO, and has yet to release the results of the trial. Hmm, what's Merck hiding? And why are they changing the “primary endpoint” of the trial? Clinical trials run by drug manufacturers must stand up to peer review, and must be released in a timely manner, regardless of the outcome. By not releasing the full results of the trial, Merck is providing a service to shareholders, not patients. My parents are on heart medication of some sort, and I know many others who are as well. With over $4 billion in sales of these drugs, Merck has a large cash cow to protect. My parents' health is my priority. I hope their cardiologists know what they are doing.

No comments: