Monday, August 25, 2014

My Brand New Old 1984 Volkswagen Westfalia


I'm the proud owner of a 1984 Volkswagen Westfalia. It has the original 1.9l wasserboxer engine, with a little over 200,000 miles. It's all original, except for a recent repaint. It needs a lot of work including major repairs to the air conditioner which is currently being performed at Tony's in Eagle Rock.

So far, the car has passed the all important smile test:


So now the discussion is moving into what modifications I'd like to make. There's lots of directions I could go. It seems now that I own one, I'm seeing Westys everywhere!


The list of modifications is growing rapidly, and includes:

  • Engine Swap. VW TDI or Subaru?
  • Extra Battery with Solar Panel Charger on Roof
  • 15 inch wheels
  • Upgraded brakes
  • South African Headlights
  • Tow Hitch with bike rack
  • Tinted windows
  • New pop up tent
  • New skylight
  • New interior
What am I missing? What mods have you done to your Westfalia?

And speaking of new interior, here's a fabric swatch Heather showed me for inspiration. What do you think about this fabric? I kind of dig it! Can I find this pattern or one similar that's suitable for automotive use? Where would I look?




No comments: